Some Past Accomplishments
- Anne's Beach: LMKA spearheaded the effort to create Anne’s Beach, now one of the loveliest parks in the Keys. (Click here to see the editorial from 1991 about our involvement)
- Bike Path: As a result of years of persistence by members, our bike path was completed long before bike paths became common in the Keys.
- Right of Way: LMKA worked with DOT and the Village of Islamorada on several projects resulting in the landscaping of the right-of-way.
- Fire Station: LMKA worked with the Village to get an EMS/Fire Station on our island.
- LMKA Walks: The Association has had annual “walks” inviting government officials to walk along to brainstorm with residents and find ways to improve the community.
- Candidate Forums: LMKA has had candidate forums before local Village Council elections.
- Planning Initiatives: Since the mid 1980s LMKA has worked with Monroe County, South Florida Regional Planning Council and the Village of Islamorada to help establish long range planning for the island, promoting the goal of remaining a low-density island. (Click here to see an editorial from 1989 about our planning efforts)
- Newsletters: Matecumbe Neighbors newsletter proved to be an excellent vehicle for property owners to learn about the issues that impact the area.
- Meetings: Monthly meetings held during the winter months provided educational programs and an opportunity to get to know neighbors.